Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Our Children

Our children. Those are words that we rarely utter. Mostly because we don't want to make people uncomfortable when they only see one child and ask about the missing one. I can't help but feel a little guilty every time I'm asked how many children I have and I lie for the sake of the other person.

If you follow my blog, you know this has been an ongoing internal struggle for me. The truth is, I have two children. I conceived and birthed two beautiful babies. Why is it so taboo for me to tell people that I have two children? One lives with me and one lives in Heaven and is waiting for me.

Why am I so afraid to tell the truth even if it makes the other person uncomfortable? Lying is making me uncomfortable. When I lie, I deny my son. I deny that he is a part of our family. I deny that I am his mother. Liam is real. There is not a day that goes by that I don't think of Liam. Not one single day. He lived inside of me for 24 weeks. He lived in our arms for the most glorious 144 minutes of our lives. We were Zumwalt, party of four. Nick and I have two beautiful children. Why is it so taboo for me to say that?

No comments:

Post a Comment