Sunday, December 19, 2010

2010 Wasn't All Bad

It is that time again to start reflecting on the past year. Most people can agree that 2010 was a little rocky for Team Zumwalt. As I reflect on the past year I choose to be overwhelmed by the blessings in my life rather than to dwell on the bad stuff that happened to us this year. If you do the math, there are 52 weeks in a year, so only a fraction of those weeks were what I would consider trying. I am blessed beyond measure and would like to take this opportunity to share with you some of the things I am grateful for as we close out 2010.

I am grateful for:
My faith.
The real reason for the Christmas season.
My life.
My amazing husband who is my partner and best friend.
Our phenomenal little boy who is the best thing that has ever happened to me.
Our super fabulous extended family who I know loves and supports us unconditionally. (Even when we have been difficult to love and support)
Our loving and supportive friends.
My job and the ability to help children who can't help themselves.
My husband's job.
My health that is continuing to improve every month.
My amazing team of doctors who are committed to making me healthy again so I can live a full healthy life.
Our precious Liam.
Our beautiful home.
Our ability to pay our bills.
Great medical coverage.
The ability to help others who are less fortunate.
Not having any lasting side effects from my stroke.
My hair that is finally growing back.
The ability to help others learn from my experience this year.
2010.

I could really go on and on. I have so much to be thankful for that I've started to feel a little guilty for my moments of self pity. There is so much good in my life it hardly seems fair to focus on the bad stuff that happened to us. Yes, I had a stroke. Yes, I had a son premature that died. Yes, I have some health issues. Is that all there is to me? No. Nick and I have decided we don't want to be defined by the tragedy in our lives, rather we want to focus on all the good around us because if you open your eyes, it's easy to see. There are a lot of people who have it a lot worse, all you have to do is watch the news or read the newspaper to realize that.

As you close out 2010 I just ask that you take time to reflect on what you are grateful for and appreciate the blessings in your life.

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I was just thinking about you guys today and wanted to say that I hope that in spite of everything, that you have a wonderful Christmas, and then I realized that you are the kind of people who already know that. Awesomeness. And Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete