Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Do you think my son needs therapy?

So, I'm pretty sure my son's early exposure to death has caught up with us. His first experiences with death were when both sets of grandparents had dogs die. Isaac asked a lot of questions but didn't really seem too upset. We would answer the questions the best we could and move on. His next experience of course was his brother. He still asks a lot of questions and for the most part I think he "gets" it the best any four year old can "get" death. He has times where he will cry and say he misses Liam but I know he just misses the idea of Liam. I'll never forget when we got out of the car at Liam's funeral Isaac was so excited because he thought we were in Heaven. He even said "is this Heaven?"
Fast forward several months and now he has been playing "dying grandpa" with the neighbor kids. Isaac is the grandpa and uses a toy golf club as his cane and then he will pretend to die. Complete with his tongue hanging out the side of his mouth. Then his friends will rush to their "grandpa" and try to revive him. Weird right? I thought it was funny but also a little creepy. Should I be concerned that my four year old likes to pretend to die? I might also add he LOVES to pretend to have crutches, canes, walkers, and wheelchairs. Perhaps it's because he has seen his mother use all of those items or perhaps he's just weird. Why can't he play normal games like cowboys and Indians or cops and robbers. My sister even caught him playing "kidnapper" with her kids last week on spring break.
So, I guess my dilema is should I take him to therapy or encourage his new creative play?

No comments:

Post a Comment