Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The World Is A Rainbow

So we were watching America's Got Talent the other night and this woman came on and was singing. While she was good, she had a different kind of voice and looked different as well. Isaac quickly said she was lame (I have no idea where he learned that word, wink wink). My heart broke in that instant. I asked him what made her lame and he said her hair was weird and her voice was weird. I felt awful. What have I been teaching my child? One of the most important things I want him to learn from us is acceptance of others. With that comment, I felt like I had failed.


Isaac and I talked about how we need to be kind to other people even if they are different than us. We also talked about how all our differences make the world a better place and make each person unique. Then it hit me, Mrs. Snow taught my son this very lesson through song. I've included a video of Isaac singing this song. The premise is, the world is a rainbow made up of lots of different people. It takes all kinds of people to make the world go round. You should be you and I'll be me and that's the way we were meant to be. When we work together the world is beautiful. I love how Mrs. Snow keeps it simple. I wish we could all remember this simple lesson. The world is a rainbow made up of many different people, if we could just keep that in mind and remind our children of this, the world just might be a better place. Thanks Mrs. Snow.



No comments:

Post a Comment