Tuesday, April 10, 2012

My Boo Has Glasses

So my Boo now wears glasses. I don't know why but this makes me very sad. I'm embarrassed to admit that when the form was sent home stating he failed his vision screening, my heart sank. He's only five. He's so cute. He's my perfect little boy. I know glasses won't change any of those things but it still made me sad. Isaac has such amazing blue eyes and perfect little freckles and it makes me sad they will be covered up by glasses. I know I'm being ridiculous. I know lots of kids his age that wear glasses and they aren't any less cute because of it. Not. One. Bit. So why am I being so ridiculous? Perhaps because I know from personal experience that glasses can be inconvenient. Especially as a child. I don't want things to be hard for him. I want to protect him from stupid kids who will undoubtedly make fun of him because he wears glasses. Kids are mean. Isaac is sensitive. I don't want anything to crush his sweet little spirit.

He's was so excited to wear glasses. He was so excited, he even lied during the eye exam. He claimed he couldn't even see the big E. Whatever, Kid. I know you better than you think and I know when you are lying. Once I explained that I was not going to buy him glasses because we couldn't figure out what his accurate prescription would be, his vision had a miraculous improvement. Although it wasn't enough to not need glasses. Bummer.

I think he's just as cute with his glasses, but for some reason I can't stop feeling bummed that this is his new reality. He got his dad's bad eyes. Oh well, at least he's healthy and happy and so far doesn't seem to have any of my weird genes. I know from experience that there are a lot worse things in life than glasses so I'll stop being whiney and be grateful that my poor son can finally see again.


2 comments:

  1. My daughter (now 12) got glasses when she was 4. At the dr, she kept insisting that she could see just fine. Then she said, "Can you make the pictures a little bigger?" roflol I still have to remind her to wear them, but even she says, "When I don't have them on, I don't look like ME." :)

    Your son is ADORABLE in his glasses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt the very same way when we found out Kevin needed glasses. The first thing that crossed was that he couldn't be a pilot - and I hated to think there was ANYTHING he wouldn't be able to do, if he wanted. That, plus covering up the cute face. Isaac is so cute and it will be fun to see them together with their glasses. :)

    ReplyDelete