Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Ma Beans

A year ago today is when things really started going down hill for us. I ended up in triage for the afternoon and on the way home from triage my stroke started. Lame right? With that being said, I had another appointment today with the kidney guy and it made me realize how far I've come in a year. When all of this started I was really sick although we didn't really know how sick. I had struggled with my rheumatoid arthritis pretty bad for the last 5-8 years. I would have days where I couldn't walk, lift, or even get up off the toilet because my joints hurt so bad. I'm talking "take your breath away" pain. Not to mention all the damage that was being done to my kidneys without my knowledge since I had Lupus and didn't know it. But I've come a long way. I feel like we are taking control of my Lupus and "ma beans" are starting to recover. My creatinine was 1.14 today which is the lowest it's been since this started. I've been hovering at 1.33 (which is still normal but the kidney guy wanted it lower). The protein in my urine is also down to 3.1 grams which is also the lowest it's been since all of this started. At one point it was as high as 13 grams, not good. And my anti double stranded DNA which shows active Lupus is still at 4 which 4 or less is the goal. My overall kidney function is improving as well which is great news as I intend to use those beans for many years to come.

My appointment today really put things in perspective for me. Although I am by no means healthy, I sure am a lot healthier than I was when this started. My joint pain is nearly non-existent which I hadn't really realized until today. What a miracle that is since I've struggled for so long. Living with pain became a way of life for me so much so that I barely noticed that I haven't had any pain in a year. Crazy.

I know my health journey is never going to end but it does feel good to know I'm moving in the right direction. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I am so grateful to Liam as it is because him that I have now been accurately diagnosed and can be on that road to recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment