Sunday, September 25, 2011

FAMILY

Family, it's what I live for. I do everything for my family. Without them, I'd have no purpose. The funny thing about family is sometimes they make you inpatient crazy, other days I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to go on without them.

I have an amazing extended family. My family through marriage is pretty amazing too. That's who this blog is about. See, my inlaws have been through some life altering changes recently. Nick's grandmother has reached the point in her life where she is no longer able to live on her own. I remember one of the last times we visited his grandmother at her home, she had me open some cans of soup for her. I offered to heat them up for her, but she assured me she could do it herself. As we left, I had a sick feeling that she was going to eat the soup right out of the can. It made me so sad. I knew at that point that what my inlaws were right, she couldn't live on her own. But why alter their lives? Although it was none of my business and not my decision, I had questioned the decision to move her in to their home. This would change their lives. Three generations in one home. They were still raising kids. It would be hard. It is hard. But, it was the right thing to do. How can I be so sure? Just look at his Memaw.

We have been taking Memaw to church with us on Sunday's and I can see such a tremendous difference in her. She walks better, she finds her words better, her color is better, and she's happier. Most of the time, she even remembers our names. Don't kid yourself, it's not all sunshine and roses. I'm sure they fight. I'm sure my mother-in-law is frequently tempted to slip some sleepy medicine in Memaw's food at least once a day. I'm sure they all question the decision weekly, but the last years of Memaw's life will be infinitely better all because my inlaws have made huge sacrifices. Particularly my mother-in-law who is her primary caregiver. Talk about an impossible job. My mother-in-law is a wife, mother, nurse, cook, housekeeper, taxi, banker, family manager, secretary, and on and on. Memaw is so much healthier, because of family. Say it with me...family. Family is the best medicine.

No comments:

Post a Comment