Saturday, October 15, 2011

I Am The Face

Today's the day. Pregnancy and Infant Loss Remembrance Day. Did you know that 25% of women will experience pregnancy or infant loss. You all know, I am one of those women. I'm a survivor of infant loss. I didn't ask to be in this club, but I am a member. "Stillbirths (the death of a baby after 20 weeks gestation) occur in one in every 160 pregnancies–about 60 stillborn babies every single day (March of Dimes)." That was me. That was Liam. I can't think of any greater loss I will experience than the loss of my child.


Many people don't know what to say to women who experience this tragedy. They also tend to think the mom/dad just want to move on and not talk about the baby they lost. This is untrue. I remember wanting to talk about Liam to everyone. I remember wondering if I was making people uncomfortable by talking about Liam and our loss. I still tend to apologize sometimes when we talk about him. Fortunately, we've been surrounded by wonderful people who let us talk about Liam and even ask about him. Today is about bringing awareness to everyone on this topic so all mom's and dad's who experience this tragedy can talk about it and feel as supported as Nick and I have.


Today we will honor Liam and all the other precious babies that never had the opportunity to live their earthly lives. Although I didn't get to keep Liam, he will always be my child. I will always be his mom. I will always remember what he did for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment