Sunday, November 21, 2010

Mister's Quest for the Hobbit Life

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas--again. I do love this time of year, when the shadows grow longer and the trees become alight with fiery hues of red, orange and yellow.

There is a richness to autumn, in the colors, the smells, the food. I want time to slow down. I want to take walks in the woods. I want to make memories with my family.

It seems it all comes and goes so fast now and before you know it, winter has set in and I become frozen in the post-holiday vacuum of icy monotony. There is no holiday to aim for, no feast to gather around and the chill nights are not tempered by the last hold outs of summer. There is always Easter, but that is sometimes lost around here these days.

In my sophistication, I yearn to be simple again. I will never again know simplicity as I did because of my sophistication. Layers of complexity have accumulated throughout the years, most of it self-inflicted--the drive to be something which was anywhere I was not at the time. I have always struggled to be content where I am. Maybe, if I am just present where I am, contentment will follow.

Now where's my pipe and hobbit hole?

No comments:

Post a Comment