Friday, November 5, 2010

Team William

This is my nephew William. He has a special place in my heart. Like me, he has been "sick" most of his life. He was Twin B born at 28 weeks gestation. Twin B means he pretty much got the shaft on the inside from Twin A who stole all the good stuff. Don't get me wrong, Twin A struggled too for a while. Anyone would, he was born 12 weeks too early. But he quickly caught up and you'd never be able to tell he was premature. There were lots of moments after William was born that we were scared he wouldn't make it. And by lots, I mean LOTS! My poor sister. But his name is William. He had the "Will" to live. And live he did. It wasn't easy on him. William had to be a fighter from day one. He was in the hospital for MONTHS and when he was finally discharged he frequently found himself back in the hospital. My sister even watched him code on one of those visits to the pink palace. He was on oxygen for the first two and a half years of his life because his lungs were so damaged from all those months on a ventilator as well as being under developed. When they took him off oxygen he finally learned to walk. Now he runs. William has been sick a lot and is slightly behind developmentally but is catching up every day. Every time I see him he is saying more words and bossing his siblings and cousin around. His only food source for his entire four years of existence has been a feeding tube. Until now. My sister informed us yesterday that twice he asked for chips, he drank juice, and nibbled on cheese at the dinner table last night. He is in special education classes at Jenks and his teacher informed my sister today that he has been caught stealing snacks from the other kids. Praise God! I love my little thief of a nephew! My little nephew may be well on his way to completely catching up to his ornery Twin A!! I'm pretty sure I couldn't be more excited or proud.

1 comment:

  1. This made me cry. Sheesh. I love you. How come I never knew about this kid. All these wasted years of friendship.

    ReplyDelete