Sunday, July 31, 2011

Perspective By Laura

The cable is out and I started to get annoyed, then I realized how dumb that was to be upset that the cable wasn't working. It's cable. Big deal. I should know from experience that there are A LOT worse things in life than the lack of cable. What a diva attitude. So, I have to put things into perspective.

1. I've come close to death. If I can survive a stroke, blood loss, and near kidney failure, I can surely survive the cable being out. You don't have to have a near death experience to realize this.
2. If I can survive the death of my precious little son, Liam I can surely survive the cable being out.
3. I have a job where I witness the worst of human kind. I've heard about things happening to children that you can't even imagine. If I can do that work for ten years, I can survive the cable being out.
4. It's 104 degrees outside with no end to the heat wave in sight. I have a nice air conditioned home to stay cool in and many are not as fortunate. Many people can't afford to cool their homes. Many air conditioners are failing with this excessive heat. Mine is not. It's pretty crispy in my house. I think I can survive the lack of cable.
5. I've been married for nearly nine years. While my marriage is in no way perfect(because nobody's is), and we continually have to work at it, I'm blessed to have the relationship and husband I have. My husband is my rock. He gave me two beautiful children. My husband could have become a single dad last year when I had those "health issues". If we can survive that, we can surely survive the lack of cable.
6. I have health problems. I have good insurance that allows me to recieve excellent care for my health problems. The kidney medication I have been taking for the last year would cost me $1400 dollars a month if I didn't have insurance. I pay nothing. I'm fortunate to be covered by two insurance policies. What would happen to my kidney's if I wasn't able to take the medication that has changed my life? I wouldn't be able to afford cable if it weren't for my insurance. So, I think I can survive the cable being out.
7. I have two beautiful children. One lives with me, and one lives in Heaven. I am blessed beyond measure. I know extraordinary people that would be great parents that have not yet been given that gift. It doesn't seem fair. In my daily work I see people treat children like trash, yet people who would make amazng parents have to struggle. I think I can survive the lack of cable.

You see where I'm going with this. It just takes a little perspective to realize that "the cable being out" is not the end of the world. And whatever your "cable being out" moment is, I hope you stop and try to gain some perspective. Sometimes we get so spoiled and consumed with things that don't matter, that it's hard to keep perspective on what really does matter. Now, perhaps I should figure out what's wrong with the dumb cable since I'm out of things to say. Kidding!

P.S. I've fixed the cable situation so I'm off to watch Big Brother and The Bachelorette now that I have some perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment