Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Liam and My Grandpa

Liam Miller Zumwalt was named after my grandpa. His name was Jimmy Miller Haff but he liked to be called Mr. Wonderful. It was a self given title, but we all agreed it was true. I've blogged about Mr. Wonderful before. He was an amazing man and such a huge influence on my life which is why I wanted to name one of my children after him. He made me feel like the most important person on the planet and I'm pretty sure I was his favorite. I'm also pretty sure if you asked his five other grandchildren they would say the same.

Mr. Wonderful wrote me letters every week while I was in college. I usually got them on Wednesday. I went through some of his notes today and just seeing his distinct handwriting brings back such wonderful memories. He used to tell us that he had a pet rhinoceros named George. We never got to meet George though because mysteriously he was always in jail or had ran away every time we visited. I miss him terribly. Oh, how I wish he could have known Isaac. I know he would have adored Isaac beyond measure. It makes me sad that Isaac doesn't get to know this wonderful man that had such a huge influence on my life. Mr. Wonderful was pretty ornery and although I only knew Liam from when he was in my belly, he was pretty ornery too. I know that Liam is with his namesake and loves Mr. Wonderful as much as I do. I'm sure they are causing all sorts of trouble together. I also feel a lot of peace knowing that Liam is with my grandpa since he can't be with me.

Today marks the eight year anniversary of my grandpa's death. Before he died, we would ask him if he was afraid to die and of course he was not. See, he knew that when he died he would be walking with Jesus and that's nothing to fear. I love and miss you terribly, Mr. Wonderful. Take good care of my precious little boy for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment